Friday, June 22, 2007

Encouraging News

Marilu called me this morning to inform me that Lucas's bilirubin count is now down to 270. Last night's last count was around 327 so that's a nice big drop. Considering it was 415 before the light treatment started, we're definitely seeing some good progress. She says Lucas has also been more active today, and when she got a chance to breastfeed him he was alert and active throughout, rather than falling asleep continuously as he did before. The doctors are planning to keep him on the lights for one more day and night, but if his bilirubins continue to drop at the rate they are now, he should be coming home tomorrow. So it's definitely a much happier morning than yesterday.

I'm going to upload a bunch of pictures to the web albums later, once I get back from the hospital, but for now, here's a couple from last night. The first was a picture I got of him holding up his bottle later in the night, similar to the scene I described in the last entry.


The second picture would be Lucas's entry if there was ever a contest for most miserable baby ever. In light of recent good news, it's kind of amusing in a "aww, how pathetic" way, if that makes any sense at all.


UPDATE! While typing this entry up, Marilu called to let me know that the doctor told her that Lucas's progress has been so good that there's a chance he may even be coming home today. More on that when I know more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Justin and Marilu...our thoughts and prayers are with you. I can only imagine how hard this must be right now. That's terrific news that his levels are already coming down!!! Clairanne