Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On the subject of cars

Last night, while surfing the Net, my mind turned to cars. Right now, we've only got one, a mighty 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Yes, truly a legend in the making. One car is all we've really needed since I live within walking distance of work, and to be honest, I don't like driving much anyway. Also, with Marilu on maternity leave for the next year, there isn't much of a reason for one until late summer/early fall 2008.

Nevertheless, I decided to look at cars for the heck of it, just to get an idea of prices. Well, in a blatant indication that my life as I know it is near an end, I looked at, yes, minivans.

Believe it or not, I'm not (that) ashamed. If I learned nothing from our trip to the airport last week, we need a vehicle with space. The stroller took up almost the entire trunk so that left only the spaces on the back seat next to Lucas for our suitcases. It would be impossible to make the trip with even one more person. So, knowing space is a major consideration in our next vehicle, that limits our options to three main types of cars: station wagons, SUVs, and minivans.

Let's face it, station wagons had their heyday in the 80s. Yeah, they still make faux, trendy station wagons but there's nothing like those wood-paneled land boats that used to be all the rage. And as far as SUVs go, anyone who knows me well probably knows that I loathe SUVs with just about every fiber of my being. I often joke that SUVs are to soccer moms what sports cars are to middle-aged guys. That is, they buy them to compensate for the lack of something else. In addition to being overly large for the sake of being overly large, they also are hell on gas mileage. I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fan of giving the Middle East any more of my money than I have to, so better gas mileage, even relatively speaking, is a key consideration for me.

So that's what led me to the minivan. There wasn't any other choice really. Besides, most of them have more interior room than a comparably priced SUV so that seals the deal for me. Since a car isn't all that important to me anymore (though I wouldn't turn down an RX-8 if anyone is feeling generous), all I want is something that is big enough, comfortable, and has plenty of ways of keeping Lucas quiet on long drives when he is a few years older. Oh yes, the flip-down TV screens will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine.

And I've apparently rambled on about cars for way too long now. Adios!

1 comment:

Kimmers said...

I don't know if I can talk to you any more...a TV in the car!? Now, if it was for you, sure...but as is, they're really placed for the guy about to rear-end you. :P