Monday, July 30, 2007

That's what I get

This was a rare Lucas picture-free day. However, I made up for it by playing and/or holding him from the time I got home until he went to bed. I've been wanting a father-son bonding day for a while now, and it felt good to get it.

One of my fraternity brothers from university had a kid several years ago, and in an email to a few of us, he said some sappy stuff about having a kid and what a great, life-changing experience it was. At the time, another friend and I kinda joked about it behind his back, talking about what a wuss he was and just having some fun at his expense. I guess the tables have turned though since I'm that guy now. I thought I was sarcastic and cynical and jaded and whatever other pessimistic words you might come up with--and sometimes I am, especially at work--but as soon as I come in the door after work, I can't wait to go over and see that little man's face. Whether he's smiling or asleep or even crying his eyes out, I just get this overwhelming feeling of contentment. I can't even imagine going to bed now without standing over his crib for a few minutes, just watching him softly breathe in and out. It's one of those things that lets you know all is right in the world, if only for a few moments.

Okay, enough about that. Although I didn't get any pictures of Lucas today, I took 3 yesterday, 2 of which follow. The first one is just mom and son hanging out on the couch downstairs. He's looking like a little tubby fella, huh? That reminds me, at his appointment with the doctor today, he weighed in at a healthy 11 lbs, 2 oz. That's up about 2 lbs from his last visit a mere 2 weeks ago. The little guy definitely likes his milk.


This next picture amuses me since it looks like the poor kid is getting abused. Well, abuse isn't amusing but knowing that there isn't any makes it amusing. Hmm, that sounds bad, and I'm sure child services is on their way. Anyway, we had dinner with a couple we know last night (btw, great dinner again, Nicole and Chris!), and after dinner, Lucas just went bananas with the yelling. We tried all kinds of things, and at one point Nicole put him on his stomach and was rubbing his back. I thought Lucas's position was amusing (see above) and snapped the picture. Enjoy!

No comments: