Monday, July 9, 2007

Lucas's Book List

I've decided to make a list of all the books I'd like to get Lucas at some point in his younger years. I came up with the idea last night while reading Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl. That's one of my favorite books from growing up, and I figured it would be cool to expose him to some of the novels/short stories that helped warp me into the weirdo I am today.

This post is likely to be updated frequently so I'm going to link to it from the right side of the screen over there under his photo album link. Wow, that was a lot of prepositional phrases in a row. Good thing no one checks your grammar online. Feel free to leave book suggestions in the comments since I plan to read Lucas a bunch of books before he thinks it's not cool anymore. :)

FYI, I know he's still way too young for most of these books, but you can never start thinking about them too early.

The Big List of Books for Lucas

Fantastic Mr. Fox, Roald Dahl (OWN)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl (OWN)
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Roald Dahl (OWN)
Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak (OWN)
Make Way for Ducklings, Robert McCloskey (OWN)
Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein (OWN)

Chronicles of Prydain
series, Lloyd Alexander
Matthew and Maria Looney series, Jerome Beatty Jr (if I can find them!)
Encyclopedia Brown series, Donald J. Sobol
Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators series, Robert Arthur
The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel), Ellen Raskin
The Westing Game, Ellen Raskin
Black Stallion series, Walter Farley
Pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss (I currently own Red Fish, Blue Fish, The Cat in the Hat, and Green Eggs and Ham)

Suggested by others
Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Skinnybones by Barbara Park

To be continued...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Justin, you SO do not want me to post book suggestions here in the comments.... there isn't even the start of enough room! I have a whole school library full of excellent choices, maybe I'll just email you the card catalog! :) You have a great start though, all are ones I recommend. I do have two you MUST add the list, right now - "Winnie-the-Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner" by A.A. Milne.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "The Giving Tree", also by Silverstein.
Oh, there are so many more, but that's my one for today.

Grammy

Kimmers said...

"Skinnybones" by Barbara Park is a great one. Very funny book that's good for Lucas when he's 8-12.