Thursday, December 6, 2007

Photo Travails

It turns out that you aren't allowed to scan professional portraits taken of you so we had to do the next best thing, and Marilu just took a photo of the photos we had done this past weekend, and we'll be using one of those as our Christmas card thingamajig. It's kind of stupid really since we paid for the portraits and we want to put one of the photos in one of those glossy things you put up on your fridge. However, we didn't like any of the styles they had at the place we took the photos so we were going to have them done at another location since they had better options. Well, after going to three different places today, none of them would scan the photos for Marilu since they are supposedly copyrighted. Inane and moronic, I must say, especially considering the fact that we're talking about some low-budget supermarket photo center.

Marilu's going to try at Staples tomorrow since I think they may have a business center that will allow you to scan your own photos and then we won't worry about the photo Nazis coming down on us with all their might. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what we'll do since Canada (or at least this area of it) has nothing similar to Kinko's, which I know for sure lets you do everything yourself.

As I mentioned above, we're using picture of the pictures on our official cards so hopefully they will come out okay. I'm not going to post the family portrait since that'll ruin the surprise for those of you who get the picture from us via mail, but I will show the other two we had done of Lucas in the same session. The first one was a "serious" shot, and I think it came out pretty well.

The second one was a joke shot. I mean, she was trying to get a serious shot, but when we saw it, we just had to have it. You'll see what I mean below. His expression is priceless.



Finally, here's a picture I took of him in his swing from yesterday. Today's theme must be expressions since I think he's looking very devious here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the Christmas card. Lucas looks like a little man...cute, cute, cute!

Keep those photos coming, along with the commentary

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I can scan it for you. We do it all the time. Have her bring them on Sunday if she can't get it done today.

Christine

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a bit of a copyright dweeb (as in I find the subject of copyright extremely interesting - I read books about it; a sure sign of some sort of sickness) and these people are just wrong, wrong, wrong. I find it very upsetting. Next time bring a copy of the Copyright Act with you and direct the expert behind the counter to section 13(2) where it explicitly states that if you hire someone to take your picture, you own the copyright in the photograph (unless you sign a contract giving the copyright to the photographer). Seriously, it really bugs me that the copyright nazis have convinced copy places that they should infringe on peoples rights this way. I'm seething. Yes, seething. See aforementioned sickness.

All that aside, a good printer that scans and makes photocopies is really quite cheap. We've got one if you ever want to use it in the future. I see Christine has you covered this time!

In case you want to be a copyright dweeb too...
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-42/bo-ga:l_I-gb:s_13//en#anchorbo-ga:l_I-gb:s_13

Tracey

Anonymous said...

Just in case anyone is really upset that the link to the Copyright Act didn't get in there properly, here it is again but to the table of contents instead. Section 13(2) is under Part I - Ownership of Copyright.

I wonder what they would say if when they told you the pictures were copyrighted you said "Yeah, and I own the copyright."

Still seething.

Tracey

Anonymous said...

Seething so bad I forgot the link - you're going to be disappointed that all the comments on this post are from me harping on the same thing!

laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowTdm/cs/C-42///en

Tracey