Saturday, December 1, 2012

Newfoundland 2012 - Part 4 (By the Sea)

For the penultimate installment of the Newfoundland vacation, we focus on the geography of this beautiful island. Well, mostly the ocean, but there's some green stuff in there too.

Gerry and Barb's house in Holyrood is located within walking distance of the Atlantic ocean, and there are some really scenic spots all around them. These first shots show Lucas and his Poppy checking some of them out.






One of the coolest things about the bay that they are at in the above pictures is that there were whales surfacing only a few hundred feet from them. It may be business as usual for the residents of the area, but I gotta admit, I was pretty thrilled to see whales in the wild. It's one thing to see them on TV, or to a lesser extent, on a cruise designed for that purpose, but to be able to see them in the water within walking distance of the house? I think I ended up going back to that spot 2 or 3 times during the trip. I have a photo and a video of the whales below. I just wish they did a better job at showing how close the whales actually were.






For what it's worth, I have no idea what kinds of whales those are. If there are any experts in whale science reading this, feel free to comment on the genus and species.

This is just Lucas throwing a rock in the water. Not Lucas throwing a rock at a whale.


I took these next three shots to show the view I had from the bay when I looked right, straight forward, and left, respectively. I didn't think to bring good shoes during this trip, but next time, I want to hike up that hill on the right.




This video is another shot of the bay, but this time I'm standing on the left side so you can see the beach where we spent most of our time.





A couple of family shots from the Bay of Whales (I'm sure it has a better name than that)...actually, I just looked it up on Google Maps, and it's called Chapel's Cove. I like Bay of Whales better, but to each their own.



Finally, this photo was taken from the backyard of Marilu's aunt and uncle's place, which is located 30-45 minutes northwest of Holyrood. You may have to click on the photo to see the details, but I was absolutely amazed at the view. I've never been to the Scandinavian countries, but the land out there in the water reminds me of what I think fjords would look like. Or smaller versions of the White Cliffs of Dover in England. Whatever the case, I was really impressed and spent several minutes on their back deck admiring the scenery.


Next post will wrap up the Newfoundland trip. After that, I guess I'll play a little catch-up with older photos from 2012. We haven't taken many photos in the last month or two so I'll have to get on that while we explore the spring and summer.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Awesome scenery. Can I visit with you guys next year?

Tracey said...

I could live with that view. Sweet.

Nicole (Waelti) Engelman said...

The whales you saw are fin whales. Probably if you were close you got an idea of how big they are. They are the second largest mammal, next to the blue whale, on the planet. Cool sighting! This has been your national geographic moment for the day, minus the topless african women.