Tuesday, April 26, 2016

4-on-4 Update

I forgot to mention in yesterday's update that Lucas's 4-on-4 hockey team (the Gold team, as each team has a different colored jersey) had their second set of games on Sunday, and this week didn't do much to change my negative feelings. Once again, his team was completely dominated, losing their games 3-1 and 5-0. I'd like to say Lucas is playing well, and it's the rest of his team that is the fault, but honestly, their goalie is about the only shining spot. I know that sounds crazy, given the fact that they have been outscores 21-4 in four games, but if not for the goalie's stellar play, you could probably double the goals against.

The other problem with the league is attendance. I already mentioned that they had no subs in their second game last week, but thankfully, this week was better as they had 6 skaters plus the goalie. That still means 2 kids didn't show up, which is sad considering it's only the second week. The only upside is that the other teams were in the same situation. In fact, in the game after ours, one of the teams only had 3 skaters so I'm not sure if they ended up having to forfeit or if they were able to get a skater from another team.

For the first issue, it should get fixed within a week or two since I'm told they rebalance the teams if there are outliers on either end of the win-loss column, and I would assume Gold is at the very bottom right now. As for attendance, I don't know what to say. Marilu and I are both the types of people that, if we sign up for something, we go to it. Unfortunately, it appears many parents don't share that belief.

Next game is on Thursday so we'll see how things go this week.

Whoops, before I sign off, I wanted to mention that we registered Lucas last minute for spring baseball after he expressed a great deal of interest. He did a sortout for it on Saturday and did surprisingly well, considering he's never played "real" baseball before (i.e., T-ball doesn't count). He has a few friends he knows playing, and he might even end up on his best friend Zach's team, which would make both of them very happy.

I think games for that will start next week, so I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

Mom/Grammy said...

Keep us posted on the sports. Hopefully, 4 on 4 will improve. It's no fun losing every game. so I hope that changes. We'll keep our fingers crossed that Lucas will be on Zach's team