Monday, January 28, 2008

Of daycare and broccoli

Earlier tonight, Marilu and I had an "interview"/meeting with a potential daycare provider for when she goes back to school in the fall. The meeting went well, as the woman is extremely nice and really seems to love what she is doing. The entire basement of their house has been converted to a little daycare center, and she watches 5 (maybe 6, but that would be it) kids at a time. She caters to teachers' kids as she runs her daycare by the same schedule they do. That is, she's off over the summers and all the same breaks that the teachers have. In addition, her house is located in our housing division so it's literally about a 2 minute drive and it's on my way in to work (which is, in itself, a 3-4 minute drive). Finally, Lucas not only didn't cry when she picked him up and played with him, but he actually smiled. He's been going through a shy spell lately where he cries whenever someone besides Marilu or I pick him up so this was one more vote in favor of this daycare location. All in all, the magic 8 ball says, "Signs point to yes." I'm sure there will be more news about this down the line, and I'll keep all of you informed.

I'm a little late on this, but here's the pictures (and video) I was hoping to post yesterday. The first is a shot of Lucas holding one of the multitude of toys he owns. I swear, the kid could play with one toy a day for the next two months and probably still not go through all the toys he owns. Better to have too many than too little though, right?


Lucas is getting closer and closer to figuring out the whole crawling thing. Currently, he kicks his legs like a madman, but he hasn't figured out how to get traction and propel himself. The next two pics show him almost getting there. The second one, in particular, has him on both his knees (we may have helped, I forget), but he inevitably flattens his legs out and stays put. Well, sort of. He's figured out how to both scoot and roll so he can end up quite a ways from where you first left him. While he's not yet at the stage where you can't take your eye off of him for a minute, he's rapidly approaching it.

I love his smile in the first picture.



We've taken a lot of good videos of him lately so it was hard to pin down one good one in particular. As a result, I'll probably have to post a couple more over the next week. I would post more, but uploading them on YouTube can take up to 20-25 minutes so I try to keep the uploading to a minimum. One of these days, I have to figure out if there's a way to condense the size of the video. I see other videos with quality as good, if not better, than the ones I post, and they are several minutes long. There's a 100 MB limit on YouTube videos, and most of mine are 70-80 so I don't know how they are doing it. Any YouTube or video experts out there?

Hmm, as it turns out, the video I wanted to upload is 102 MB so I can't upload it. Guess we'll go with a different one. This is the video version of Lucas's first attempt at broccoli. Enjoy!

2 comments:

JP said...

I think just about every kid I know owns that bus. You soon will be humming the "Stop and Go" song.

JP

Anonymous said...

Og God! That broccoli video is too much. Lucas looks as though he's ready to up chuck it all!

Poor baby.

Grammy

Grampy Kevin says,"Good for you Lucas." Obviously he hates broccoli himself.