Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Guilt Trip

Sometimes I can't tell whether Lucas is wise beyond his years or whether he just says the right thing at the right time. I have an example from earlier tonight.

After we read to him each night, it's become customary for one of us to lie down with him for a little bit before he goes to bed. Otherwise, he screams and cries and pounds on his door, and lying down with him is just easier to deal with. For the longest time, it was a clear choice--mommy slept with him. However, over the past week or so, he has wanted me in there more often than not.

After lying there for 10-15 minutes (unless I nod off myself), I sneak out. If he's awake, I'll explain that I have to use the bathroom but that I will be back. This usually works and 5-10 minutes later, he is asleep. He has seen through our lies in the past, either demanding that we stay or, in one case, he said he would come along with me.

Tonight, however, he played a new card, one that I'm not sure he even realized he was playing: the guilt card. I got up, noticed he was still awake, and I gave him the bathroom excuse. Lucas looked at me and said ever-so-gently, "I'll wait in bed, daddy." Just about broke my heart! After heading downstairs to watch a little TV, I even headed back up to check on him about 15 minutes later and found that he was sleeping. If he wasn't, I'd have almost felt obliged to lie back down with him until he fell back asleep. I tell ya, he can be aggravating as hell sometimes, but other times, like tonight, he can be just the sweetest little guy.

1 comment: