Monday, August 4, 2008

Our little warrior

Today was a holiday here in Ontario so we went to a park in Barrhaven (suburb south of Ottawa) that has an area with lots of water fountains, sprinklers, etc for kids to play in. I'm sure there's a better way to describe it, but suffice to say kids get wet and have fun.

Lucas was of two minds of the place. He thought the fountains looked interesting from a distance, but a couple of times he was too close when the water shot out and soaked him. When this happened, he yelled, cried, and came running to me. I think it's a combination of his known fear of the shower nozzle (ie, the water dropping down on him) and the fact that the water was cold. I'm told this is a normal reaction for kids his age so hopefully he'll get over it soon and start having fun.

While Lucas was walking through the area (yes, he's mostly walking now), he lost his footing or something and smacked face first into the concrete. As you can imagine, this didn't feel well and he started shrieking. Surprisingly, he got over it fairly quickly, but he got his first war wounds. Below, see Lucas's first real scratches (not counting the self-inflicted ones he accidentally gave himself with his sharp little claws). Based on his attitude the rest of the day, it looks a lot worse than it feels. If it's hard to see, he has a couple of scratches on his nose and a bit of a gash just above his upper lip. Makes him look like a tough guy. :)


Not long after, he spent a while digging in the sand next to Logan. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this recently, but he really enjoys sand. This Saturday, when it was just me and him while Marilu was in Toronto, we went to the local park and he spent about 30-40 minutes just digging and playing in the sand.


One other thing of note from the "water" park, especially for my American readers. Here in Canada, the squirrels are black. Well, at least in Ontario. I'd never seen black squirrels before I moved here so I don't know if you can find them elsewhere in the States. Anyway, just a "how about that?" comment. You may need to click on the picture for an enlarged view.


This afternoon, I took one of my t-shirts and put in on Lucas. It didn't fit very well (obviously), but then he squirmed around inside it and somehow forced his head into one of the sleeves. We were laughing so hard at how he looked (Marilu probably put it best that he looked like a little Jawa from Star Wars) that I barely was able to get a picture in time. Hope you find it as amusing as we did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That sweet little face has such a nasty scrape. What a trooper though, he looks just as happy as ever.

Loved the shirt, albeit a size or two too large.