Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In Sickness and In Health

It's been a barrel of laughs the last couple of days regarding Lucas and his health. This weekend, he managed to get pink eye, which also kept him home from daycare on Monday. The most traumatic part of that experience was not the condition itself but instead was for Marilu and I as we tried to give him eye drops. He screamed, howled, refused to open his eyes, and on the rare occasion he did open an eye, he would take a swing (or launch a foot) at Marilu. Considering we had to go through that 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of day, suffice to say it was not fun.

Then, when all looked positive on Tuesday morning, he ended up having to come home from daycare since his ear was hurting him so bad he was just sitting against the wall, holding it. I brought him to the doctor, and, surprise, surprise, ear infection. So now he's on antibiotics for that. The first time Marilu tried to get him to take them, it sounds like it was even worse than the eye drops. However, she figured out that mixing the amoxicillin with ginger ale was a winning combination so we're going with that from here on out. I learned this morning that mere milk would not due the trick, and he only took it after I added ginger ale. Yes, ginger ale, milk, and pink medicine. Yummy.

On top of all of that, the doctor noticed a heart murmur when she was checking him out yesterday. She'd never heard one before, and when she checked his heartbeat again at the end of the appointment, it wasn't there either so she believes it's probably a flow murmur, which is apparently a very common thing for kids to have. Just to be safe, she's going to have us see a cardiologist and then, if needed, we'll get an EKG for him afterwards.

So it's been all kinds of fun this week. Considering my health has been wishy washy too--we've discovered my headaches are almost certainly due to extremely tightened muscles in my shoulders and neck--I'll be glad when this week is over.

For now, I wanted to post a picture of the present Lucas made my mom for her birthday (Nov 5) with a tiny bit of help from Marilu.


Now that I'm getting used to working through my headaches, I'll get back to posting more regularly. Oh, and lest I forget, don't forget to think of the veterans today for Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the good ol' US of A. Especially those kickass soldiers in the US Army. (no bias here!) :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Goodness! What a week you're having up there. Hope you are all feeling better. Loved the picture of the personalized stepping stone. I can't wait to get it in January.

Kudos that you remembered Veteran's Day. Too many people just treat it as another vacation day without thinking about why they have the day off.