Thursday, November 18, 2010

Another Week, Another Doctor Visit

This morning, I brought Lucas to daycare and then came home with visions of taking a quick 1 hour catnap since he had made sleeping difficult for both Marilu and I last night. However, not 5 minutes after walking in the door, I received a call from Andrea, his daycare provider. She noticed that a rash that was on his face was also all over the rest of his body and it seemed to be getting redder by the moment. We had noticed it last night, but he tends to have sensitive skin so we thought nothing of it. Since Andrea was worried it might be contagious, she asked me to bring him to the doctor and get it checked out.

So instead of my nap, I had to keep him entertained for about an hour (since the earliest appointment was at 10:30) and then drive all the way downtown for his appointment. Such is the tortuous life I lead.

Here's a picture I took of him in the examination room while waiting for the doctor to arrive. It's a bit fuzzy since the iPhone isn't known for its quality, but you can see the splotchy redness. Up close, he looks like he has a red connect-the-dots over most of his body. It didn't seem to bother him at all, though, as he was full of energy and didn't have a fever.


As it turned out, it was nothing serious. If you recall, last week he had an ear infection and had to take the antibiotic amoxicillin for 7 days. He finished the prescription about 2 days ago, and apparently it is fairly common for some people to have a reaction once they are done taking the antibiotic. The doctor even referred to it as "amoxi-rash." I don't think it means he is allergic to it, but in the future, they will give him something else.

So, the only "bad" thing is the rash, which should go away in a day or two. Since it doesn't itch or hurt, it's more a nuisance than anything else. I wish all doctor visits were this easy!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Ooh! That rash looks nasty. I can understand Andrea's concern, but Lucas doesn't seem to mind it at all and that's what counts.

Love, Mom