Monday, June 21, 2010

3rd Birthday Party

Before I get to the party pictures, I wanted to mention that we brought Lucas to his first movie in a theater today. The movie was Toy Story 3, and he really seemed to enjoy it. He started getting a little antsy toward the end, but as my mom pointed out, if we came in late and skipped the 20 minutes or so of commercials, it would have been perfect. So that's what we're likely to do next time.

(Technically, Lucas has been at the movie theater before. However, it was when he was less than a year old and he would sleep through the movie while Marilu, as well as all the other moms with babies, could relax for a couple of hours.)

Onward to the party...

This year's theme was Spider-Man since Lucas loves Spider-Man. Absolutely loves him. There have actually been days where every single piece of clothing he was wearing was Spider-Man branded. So this was a pretty easy choice for Marilu when decorating for the party. For the record, his Year 1 theme was Elmo from Sesame Street, and last year was dinosaurs.

Here's a picture of the birthday boy wearing his birthday outfit, which includes a Spider-Man ribbon.


This next picture isn't Lucas (obviously); it's his friend, 5-year-old Francesca. I wanted to post it since I figured this would be the only way you'd ever see this cool costume we bought for Lucas during our trip to Syracuse last weekend. He doesn't have the patience to wear the whole thing all at once so you get the lovely Francesca modeling it instead.


This is the awesome-looking cake Marilu made for the party. Normally, she does a test cake a week or so in advance, but she didn't have time this year so this was her first attempt. Pretty impressive!


Lucas poses with his cake.


I missed getting the candle blowout in a picture, but I did video almost the entire thing. I'll include that in a follow-up entry since it will take too long to upload tonight.


Blue mustache = good cake.


Even Spidey needs to shop for groceries now and then.


This picture was taken just moments before Lucas started opening presents (an event that could best be described as Christmas in June). Can you tell he's excited?


This picture amuses me. Right in the middle of Lucas's gift opening, Logan decided to make an Iron Man cameo appearance. Comic book nerds will rightly acknowledge that with a name like that, he should have been wearing a Wolverine mask, but that is an argument for another time and place.


This was the only picture I got of Lucas opening a present that wasn't blurred or marred in some other fashion. It figures it happens to be of the one present that didn't work: a motorized water bubble gun. My mom returned it to Toys R Us earlier today and he replaced it with a, surprise surprise, Spider-Man action figure. I think he currently has in excess of 10 different Spidey figures.


An odd picture of Marilu with book club buddies, Tracey and Sherri.


Finally, an overhead shot of Lucas with most of his haul. Yes, that isn't all of it. I wasn't exaggerating with my Christmas in June comment earlier.


As I mentioned earlier, I'll be posting at least one video from the party (blowing out the candles) shortly. In addition, I'm uploading all the other pictures I took to my photo album website. Since I haven't done it yet, I'll include that link in the next post.

Hope you all enjoyed the glimpse at Lucas's latest milestone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This 3rd Birthday Party is looking super stunning. I am really in love with the details. What a fun set of activities you added and YES, I am going to use these ideas for my son’s birthday too. We won’t be hosting this bash at the home so are just seeking inspirations for the affordable Chicago venues.