Monday, September 9, 2013

The Latest News and Summer Pictures

A little news before we get to the photos...

Lucas's first week of school went well. In the week leading up to it, every day he was complaining about how much he hated school and didn't want to go back. When he got off the bus after his first day, I asked him how it went, and he exclaimed, "It was awesome!" Pretty much what I figured. School's pretty fun for the first few years at least.

Surprisingly, none of his friends from JK/SK are in his class. In some cases, this is good since there is one kid in particular who is a catalyst for Lucas getting in trouble. So we were glad to find out they were separated. Of course, at this age, kids can make new friends in less than a minute, and by the second day, Lucas was already telling us about his "best friend" in the class. If only it was that easy once you were an adult, right?

In other news, Lucas had his second set of sort outs for hockey this past weekend. He did pretty well, all things considered, and we found out today which team he would be on. I'm not sure if they are ranked by skill level, but he is on the 7th team out of 10. If it is, in fact, skill-based, I'm pretty impressed, considering the fact that he only started skating AND playing hockey about 3 weeks before. You can be sure I'll be updating more with hockey as the season continues.

That's about all that's noteworthy for now so let's get to the pictures. I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend organizing the "To Do" subfolder in my Photos folder. Hopefully, that will speed up my updates a but since a lot of times, the sheer headache of trying to pick a couple photos out of the group of 700+ can be a bit overwhelming, and I just resolve to do it later. Now that I've organized at least half of them by "event," it might actually make the task less excruciating.

One of the biggest (and more recent) folders is the one from our trip to Massachusetts so I want to tackle that now and get it out of the way. Even after going through it a couple of times and removing so-so or similar photos, there are still 40 so it'll probably take a few posts to do that. So without any further adieu...

In past years, we've done some fishing off the dock, but for the most part, Lucas liked trying to catch fish in the net. This year, however, he really took to fishing and spent a surprising amount of time doing it. A big part of it was that he met a boy from the neighborhood, Kyle, who helped him out with it. I can't say enough good things about Kyle. He's 11, which you would think would automatically make him want to avoid a 6 year old, but he had the most amazing patience with Lucas. They would spend hours fishing on the dock or swimming in the lake, which helped make our life a little more relaxing! I really hope Kyle is still around next year since he was so great to Lucas this summer.

With all the buildup, you'd think I would have a picture of Lucas with Kyle, but this is just Lucas with one of the kivvers he caught. I think Kyle will probably show up in the next upload.


We got back from Las Vegas just in time for the 4th of July. As you can see below, you could hardly ask for a better vacation from which to view the fireworks.




As you might imagine, we took advantage of the nice weather and spent a great deal of time playing in the water. Here, we attempted to form some sort of floating pyramid.


It didn't last long.


For whatever reason, we didn't take many family photos. I'm pretty sure this is the only one with all three of us in it, besides the Titanic re-creation above.


I don't know that I've ever taken a good picture of the view we have coming down the stairs to the dock. So I rectified that.


If there's one thing we do as much as play in the water, if not more, it's hang out in the yard (particularly by the firepit) during the late afternoon and evening. While there are plenty of those photos to come, this is one that was taken while Marilu and I were in Vegas. Lucas hangs out with family friends Aidan, Brandon, and Bobby.


Marilu and Lucas put on their best faces for the camera.


I was only going to include the above photo, but then I noticed my awesome photo bombing in this similar shot so you get this one too.


Finally, what better way to end a summer day than a soak in the bubble bath? Well, for a kid anyway. I would answer, "Drinking several beers by a roaring fire," but that's just me.


Bonus video: here's our attempt at making the floating pyramid.

1 comment:

Mom said...

So glad to hear that Lucas is enjoying school and hockey. Looking forward to more pictures. The pyramid video was really good...Another job well done!