Friday, May 13, 2016

Play Ball!

Lucas's baseball team, the Padres, had their first game yesterday. The final score was something like 18-2 or 22-2, in favor of the Padres, so I'd say it went well. I'd like to say Lucas was a big part of the win, but as he's one of the youngest players and still learning the game, his contribution wasn't huge.

Lucas had three at-bats, starting with a strikeout and followed by 2 walks. He was visibly nervous at his first at-bat, not swinging at all, but he did swing in his next at-bats so there was some improvement. He didn't have too many fielding opportunities, thanks in large part to the pitchers. The Padres first pitcher, who was in innings 1 and 2, had 5 strikeouts!

For most of the positions, the kids get rotated, at least at the beginning of the season. If I remember right, Lucas played LF, CF, and 2B, and sat out one inning (they have more than 9 players). He had one play at second where he was a little lost, but in the last inning, when he was in center field, he stopped a grounder, and threw it to second before the runner got there. It would have been an out, but the 2B didn't realize he had to tag the other kid out. Oh well, they're all learning!

Most importantly, he had a fun time and can't wait for his next game so that's all that really matters. I didn't get any pictures since I was asked to be the first base coach, but I asked Andrea (Zach's mom) to take some photos for me. Hopefully, I'll get those from her soon since I know she takes great shots.

Until next time...


2 comments:

Marilu said...

Hopefully the scores will even out in Baseball or else that poor team will feel like Lucas and his 4 on 4 team.

Mom/Grammy said...

I agree with Marilu, but in baseball at that age the score can be 0-0 and all of a sudden one team will score 10 or more runs in an inning. At least Lucas sees the other side of the coin because of his 4 on 4 experience. I hope he continues to have fun in both sports