Thursday, April 16, 2015

March Break 2015, Day 5: San Juan, Part 2

Sorry for the delay between Day 5 postings. My mom was visiting for a few days and got to see all the pictures from the trip so I didn't have anyone to nag encourage me to keep posting. But I'm back so let's continue with Day 5. There's going to be at least one more post devoted to Day 5 after this one since even though I've been picking out the highlights, I already have 19 photos before we even reach the pirate show at night.

In addition to stopping in San Juan on Day 5, it was also Pirate Night on the ship. The wait staff at the restaurants have pirate-themed uniforms, all the Disney character appearances for that day are in pirate costumes, and all the guests are encouraged to dress up as well. In our first picture of the post, we see Pirate Marilu, getting ready in our room.


Our dinner that night was in the Royal Court, which is located next to the main lobby/atrium. This was typically a busy place with lots of character appearances, music, and photo ops, but it was even moreso that night, thanks to everyone celebrating like pirates. The character Stitch was walking around, and even though he wasn't doing any individual pictures, he stopped long enough for this one of all the kids. Sorry about the elbow, but that was the best I could do with the wall of cameras.


While waiting for the restaurant doors to open, Marilu and Lucas gave me their best pirate expressions.


At dinner, I got a couple of pictures of Lucas posing in front of the huge porthole that provided a great view of the ocean.



Here's a photo of the whole table, giving you an idea of what the view was like.


Here's a lovely photo of the pirate wenches.


As you can see here, Lucas enjoyed his dessert.


I think I've mentioned it before, but the wait staff rotates with you each night, from restaurant to restaurant, so you have the same people throughout the trip. I cannot say enough good things about our head waiter (Ashang from India) and assistant waiter (Ronnie from the Philippines). They were incredibly nice, wonderful with the kids, and their patience knew no bounds. For all I know, they might have gone back to their room cursing our group each night, but while they were with us, they were just the best. Since they had pirate-themed outfits on, we got a picture of them with all the kids.


After dinner, we headed up to the main deck to watch a live performance of Mickey and gang battle pirates. I can't recall if I didn't have our camera with us or what, but we have no pictures of that. It's not that big a deal since the Pirates of the Caribbean show later on (which you'll see in the next post) was much more impressive.

After the Mickey show, a lot of people left the main deck since there was another show in the main theater. We opted to skip that and hang out up top. Because there were so few people, the kids were able to ride the AquaDuck over and over again. I believe Lucas counted 19 times in a row. All of us parents were feeling well since the ladies had wine and Chris and I were drinking the cheap whiskey I bought in St Maarten.

Marilu with the boys after their AquaDuck adventures.



I'm not sure whose idea this was. At that point, it could have been anyone's. I'm just happy Lucas kept his clothes on.


This gives you an idea of what the main deck looked like for the show. Beneath the screen (playing the Muppet Pirate movie, incidentally) is a stage where both pirate shows were performed. You'll probably see more of it in the next update.


This is my current Facebook profile picture. Love the expression, and I love the straw obesssion. (hey, that rhymes!)


He looks like he's going to do something violent with those straws.


I think my photo direction here was "sexy funny." Or something like that. I'd had a bit to drink by that point.


And a few more of Lucas and gang as we waited for the show to start. You'll notice the crowd starts to return.




So that's it for this entry. Next up, we'll have the Pirates of the Caribbean taking over the top deck, the following dance party, and midnight taco bar!

4 comments:

Mom/Grammy said...

They were even better the second time around. Hey! If I don't nag you, who will?

Whipsmart McCoy said...

Hello, there. Came across your blog while trying to figure out if Ashang was still working on the Disney Fantasy. He is our favorite server and we asked for him this past June, but didn't get him. I did not see him anywhere on the ship, so I didn't know if he left DCL, transferred to another ship, or was in-between contracts.

Did he happen to mention quitting or anything like that during your time with him? Thanks!

JD said...

Since there is no reply function on this, I can only hope you'll check back and see this. Ashang didn't give any indication that he was moving on during our vacation. I even seem to recall him saying he hoped to see us on our next trip.

For what it's worth, I've only been on 4 cruises, but he was by far the best server we've had yet. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does!

Whipsmart McCoy said...

Thanks for the reply. Google was kind enough to email me when you did so.

Good to hear about Ashang. We have been on only four cruises as well. He was our server on #2, and we enjoyed him so much we asked for and got him on #3, but not #4. #5 (Star Wars cruise) is coming up in February. Hopefully, we won't miss him again.

Thanks much!