Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Soccer!

A couple of Sundays ago, Lucas had his first soccer practice. Thus far, it's a cross between the last thing he did, a soccer playgroup mishmash, and the next step, playing on an actual team. The kids get out there, do some soccer drills and fun stuff, and then play a mini-scrimmage at the end (2 on 2).

The thing that makes this MUCH better than his previous soccer attempt is that one parent has to play alongside each kid. If you recall, Lucas is extremely shy so shoving him out on the field and sitting on the sidelines watching was not an option. And if I have to be out there playing with him, I'm glad everyone else does as well.

His shyness is still rearing its ugly head during the scrimmage as he wouldn't go near the other kids to try to get the ball, let alone score. However, he does pretty well at the drills and games (such as Red Light, Green Light with a soccer ball). I wasn't watching the other kids playing, but Marilu assured me that plenty of other kids were just as shy as Lucas so I'm not sending him off to the psychiatrist just yet.

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that, so here are some pictures from the first session.

Woohoo! Wheelbarrow races! In case you are wondering why I am in jeans and almost everyone else is in shorts, we had a birthday party before this, and it looked like it was going to be a cool day. Lucky me that the weather turned and I got to play soccer in the middle of a hot afternoon wearing jeans and a dark shirt.


Lucas comes over for a water break.


It looks like Lucas is stretching here, but if I recall correctly, he was just rolling around on the grass during the aforementioned water break.


This is Marilu's favorite picture from the day since he looks intense in this head on action shot.


More action as he practices his ball dribbling skills. He's actually not that bad.


Whew! All done for the day. Now just a whole summer of Sundays to go!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I've been waiting for these pictures. I almost gave in and e-mailed a reminder that we were all counting the days since your last posting. You're safe! So is Lucas hard to find in the American Flag t-shirt? All the pictures are great and I can't wait to see him play on Father's Day! See you all soon.