Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jolly Old England

I should warn you up front that this entry is all about me and my trip to England. I'll try and keep it short (we know how well THAT usually goes), but if you're here solely for Lucas and don't want to hear about my time in London, come back tomorrow as I'll likely have some new pics of the wunderkind up. So, with that caveat out of the way, let's begin.

I spent most of the week at 2 customer sites and didn't do much in the way of touristy stuff until Saturday. However, I did take the opportunity to visit pubs almost every night I was there. For the record, English beer is spectacular. I now have nothing but disdain for bars here in Canada and the US since they tend to have 1, maybe 2, beers on tap that I would touch (yeah, I'm a beer snob) whereas I would drink just about anything at one of these pubs. You know things are good when Guinness is essentially a given at a pub.

Obviously, I had to have a picture taken of me drinking a beer so I did that at a pub called, quite simply, Cork in Welwyn Garden City, a small town north of London in which we did our training on Tuesday and Wednesday. Good thing the folds in my shirt make me look morbidly obese.


Of course, as I tried to set up the shot, I missed my mouth, resulting in this...


At the Tube stop at Piccadilly Circus, kind of like London's version of Times Square.


Posing in front of the Charlie Chaplin statue in Leicester Square with Jon, a buddy of mine from my Army days, who is currently working in southwestern England. We had a pretty good time on Saturday roaming around London and drinking much beer. And despite what you may think, we didn't plan to dress the exact same way.


A panoramic view of London from Trafalgar Square.



The gates of Buckingham Palace. The rain was coming down pretty hard at that point, which made the walk less than comfortable. This was our last stop for the day in downtown London since I didn't feel like chancing pneumonia.


Jon and I, hanging out at a pub in the Paddington train station, before he caught the train back to Exeter. Great selection of beers, as I had a Fuller's London Porter in this picture and stopped back in later that night for a Fuller's ESB. Them's good drinkin'!


Click on this next picture to enlarge it. Read the whole sign. Done? Ok, now explain to me what the hell is up with the monster pickle creature on the right side. I still don't get it (hence the picture).


A panoramic view of the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge.



I may be 37, but I was obviously too immature to refrain from taking a picture of the sign below at the Tube station. I'll let you figure out why.


On the morning we left, riding the Tube for the last time.


And finally, one last drink (well, 3 Guinness actually) at Heathrow before I got on the plane back to Ottawa. I'd definitely like to go back to London and England at some point in the future when I have more time to spend doing touristy things (bringing Marilu and Lucas, of course). All in all, it was a good trip and helped make up for all the soul-sucking parts of my job. Ah, corporate America, uh, Canada.


Tomorrow, back to Lucas!

PS: In case you were wondering, yes, I realize I need a haircut nearly as bad as Lucas. Whereas his is just getting long, mine is overly poofy. Ugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the creature that will come get you if you queue outside the designated area. That made me laugh out loud (the picture, not my lame interpretation).

bill said...

What the hell IS the deal (no pun intended) with that pickle?!?

JP said...

When we stayed in London last month we rode the Piccadilly line just about every day we were there and I think we laughed every time we got on the train.