Monday, March 26, 2007

Informing the grandparents - Part 2

After reading over that last entry, this one is probably going to be anti-climactic. Oh well, I'll just have to make the next few posts extra enthralling in order to make up for it.

So when the story left off, Marilu and I had just revealed ourselves to my dad, thus bringing the surprised parent total to 2. After that, we spent some time in the living room, talking and catching up on the latest news in our lives.

Our plan for the baby reveal was to give them birthday cards that mentioned "grandmother" and "grandfather." The twist was that we were going to first give them normal cards, along with the presents, and then afterwards give them the special cards.

So after talking a bit, we got to the "giving presents" stage, pushed that way particularly by Marilu, who just couldn't wait to tell them any longer. I guess waiting 2-3 weeks was enough; the girl had to let the secret out!

It went down pretty much as our plan I listed above. We gave them their normal cards and presents first, then Jim and Barb gave them their gifts. After that, as it looked like we were wrapping up (no pun intended), Marilu handed me the cards, and I went over to my parents and told them we had two more cards for them. My mom looked at me quizzically, not sure what the extra cards were for, and I had them open them at the same time.

When we first planned to give them those cards, I was curious whether they would catch the meaning of the cards immediately, or whether they would skim over the "grandparent" part of the card and wonder why we gave them a second card. Well, I had nothing to worry about as my mom obviously figured it out within 1-2 seconds of opening the envelope, as her expression in the photo I included in my original post shows. My dad caught on right afterwards. As you can imagine, much happiness, tears, and all that other joyful stuff ensued. All in all, a very memorable weekend, highlighted by a plethora of surprises.

So that's how my parents found out. In the next post (probably), the much shorter story of how we found out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay exciting! :)