Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What's Happening?

I can't believe no one commented on that last post! I thought it was hilarious. Oh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. You may notice that I fixed the column width issue so that video shouldn't cover the right side of the blog anymore. If you are still having problems viewing it, let me know.

Tonight is Lucas's first game of Blast Ball. From the description I read as well as a couple of YouTube videos I found, it's sort of like T-ball. As with most sports at this age, it looks like it is fairly non-competitive, but it is intended to teach kids the basics of baseball so that they are prepared to play that in a year or two. Although I am not a fan of baseball--hate it, actually--it's such a quintessential game that you play in your childhood that I felt I would be doing Lucas a disservice if I didn't let him try it out. If he wants to keep playing after this season, great. If not, that's his decision. I'm sure we'll have plenty of pictures and videos in the coming weeks of Lucas's  Blast Ball adventures so keep an eye out for that.

One other thing I wanted to mention before I post a few pictures from the archives is at Marilu's request. Last night, about a half hour before Lucas's bedtime, all three of us went upstairs and sat on our bed and played some games. We started with rock, paper, scissors, which eventually morphed into webs, bombs, shield since Lucas wanted flashier hand gestures, I guess.

After that, Lucas wanted to pretend we were in a restaurant so one of us would be the waiter and the other two would be the customers. Once the customers ordered, the waiter would go make the meals and then serve them. It may sound simplistic, but what really stood out to both of us was how creative Lucas has become. It used to be that if you asked him to name something, he would name it almost literally (case in point, Fishy Fishy) or just name it Lucas. But now, you can see the wheels turning when he is asked a question. Sometimes, he'll even be the one to prompt his own creativity. For instance, for a couple of items I ordered, he informed me they were out of it or that they didn't carry it ("there's no beer at McDonald's!"). If the restaurant was out of a selection, he would then tell us what they did have. I know this probably doesn't translate well, and I wish we could have recorded it, but I gotta say, we were really impressed and proud of him last night.

Now that you've read through that wall of text, here's the last of the pictures from October. I can't recall why  Lucas was dressed up in these first two pictures since that was a week before Halloween. My best guess is that it was a daycare craft.



Sometimes, the only qualification for a photo to get posted is the cuteness factor. I think this one manages that quite well.


This is one of Marilu's favorite photos from around Halloween. While we were decorating the house for our party, Lucas decided to do his impression of the skeleton.



I think he actually came up with this on his own, which is pretty impressive. It's damned funny looking to boot!




1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi! Miss me? I haven't posted because we've been in Las vegas. Lots of fun but no money. Lucas probably made out best with all the change we managed to accrue. change always goes into his bank account. I didn't know what to make of the rock video. I thought the video itself was a bit too old for him. Maybe I'm old fashioned. the latest posting is great...really enjoyed the story about Lucas's imaginative play and I thought that one picture was really, really cute.