Saturday, February 6, 2016

Super Bowl? Pfft, this game is bigger!

Although the game will probably be over by the time most of you read this, tonight is the eve of what is probably Lucas's biggest game of the year so far. It's the Zombies' second game against the #1 team in his division, which currently has an 12-0 record and the most goals in the league with 50 (the next closest is the Zombies with 36). They also have the least goals allowed with 13 (once again, the Zombies are in second place at that stat with 18). They won the first meeting 2-1, which was the closest anyone has played them, and it quite honestly could have gone either way. On a more personal note, the coach of the other team is Lucas's coach from his first year in IP so a win over him would be twice as big.

One of the big differences in this game is that the Zombies finally have set lines with kids playing the positions they are best at whereas earlier in the season the coaches were still getting a feel for that. So hopefully that will help. I've given Lucas a little bit of monetary motivation. I told him if he can prevent any goals while on the ice (since he is defense), I'll bring him to get a toy/reward worth $30. If he can keep them shotless? $50. I don't really expect the latter, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be out $30 of birthday money.

Anyway, I'll pop back on sometime before the Super Bowl tomorrow with an update to let you know how it went.

Oh, I didn't mention it anywhere, but the game's at 7 AM on Sunday morning.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I just got back to reading your blog since I didn't do so while in Florida. I was impressed with the comments made by Lucas's coach. Also, I found it rather interesting that he asked your opinion as to whether Lucas should play offense as opposed to defense. He must be a sensitive guy and caring enough to ask for your input. It would have been nice to beat the #1 team but maybe you'll surprise them in the playoffs. Just tell Lucas, "all you can do is give it everything you've got." Then tell him to have fun.