Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hockey News

This morning (Saturday), the Zombies had their first of two games this weekend, winning it 3-1. It was an especially satisfying win since they lost to this team in the third game of the season by the same score. That game was at 3:30 in the afternoon, and the team looked really flat. It was good to see what they could do when they were firing on all cylinders, which they definitely did today. Heck, it was almost a shutout since the other team got their only goal with less than a minute left in the game.

At this point, the Zombies are 5-4-1 and in 4th place with 11 points. If they win their game tomorrow morning, they could conceivably jump to 2nd or 3rd place since there are two teams tied for second with 12 points. First place is probably not possible since that team is 11-0 with 22 points. That said, Lucas's team played really well against them, losing 2-1, so if they meet in the playoffs, I like the Zombies' chances.

Lucas started out the year wanting to play on offense, but after a couple of strong defensive games, the coaches played him at defense. He didn't like it at first, but after playing it for a while, he's gotten much better and actually likes the position. He's been playing defense since before Christmas, and I suspect the coaches are going to keep him there for the rest of the year since he is fairly reliable. As a result, he's not likely to score any more goals this year, but that's because he'll be doing his job of keeping them out of the Zombies' net!

So that's where we are with his hockey. I know I uploaded a picture of Lucas and his best friend Zach in their hockey jerseys a few posts back, but here's one from their game (in mid-December) that I managed to get both of them in. Kind of a neat moment.


I have a bunch of other hockey photos that I need to sort through, including a hockey birthday party where Marilu played against Lucas. Once I pick out the highlights, I'll get them uploaded for your viewing pleasure.

In a last bit of hockey-related news, you may have heard that I've been taking skating lessons. Yep, finally taking the plunge and becoming a real Canadian, I guess. It's been going very well, and tonight, for the first time, I played a "game" for about an hour and a half at a community rink with Lucas's teammate Matthew, his brother Gavin, and his dad Mo. It was kids against the adults (most of the time), and to say I had a blast would be an understatement. I was already talking about it, but now definitely looking forward to playing in a league next year, albeit at a very low level. We will truly be a hockey family at that point. 

1 comment:

Mom/Grammy said...

Such a newsy post. Loved it. I never thought I'd be hearing that you're playing hockey. It's what you need to do I guess if you live in Canada. Maybe Lucas has found his niche playing defense, just like you did in soccer. Just keep having fun as a family! Winning is always be best, but it's the getting out and doing ones best that's important. Always remember that.