Friday, October 1, 2010

Tales of woe

So, we had some drama earlier. At about 5 this afternoon, I got news that my listing was conditionally sold so I was pretty happy. I was at the computer emailing the other agent to let him know I'd received the offer, Marilu was in the kitchen, and Lucas was playing in the living room. I heard a *snap* sound that reminded me of a rubber band and then Lucas begins wailing like a banshee. He came running into the kitchen, screaming his head off and I ran over to where he had been sitting behind the couch and found his EpiPen, opened and used.

Marilu said he was bleeding, and she realized it's from his two index fingers. We don't know the exact details, but he must have pushed on the end of the EpiPen and the needle popped out, getting both of his fingers. We're less worried about the shallow cuts and more worried about the fact that he might have a great deal of epinephrine running through his system.

I called 911 and they got the information they need to send an ambulance over. In the meantime, Lucas was still crying pretty hard and holding his obviously injured hands out, away from his body. However, other than the cuts and the fact that he was shaken up (as were we), he appeared to be okay.

By the time the ambulance arrived, he had stopped crying and was actually friendly when the 3 paramedics came in. They checked him out and didn't seem overly concerned, but they did say that it was highly recommended he go to the hospital to get checked out since there was no telling was the drug (chemical?) might be doing to his system.

So Marilu and Lucas got in the ambulance, and I got in our Torrent, and we drove to the children's hospital CHEO, clear on the other side of town during rush hour. It wasn't as bad as I thought the drive would be, but I'd rather not make it a daily trip.

To make a long story a little bit shorter, the worst part of the hospital was the wait. I think we checked in somewhere between 6 and 6:30, and we didn't see the doctor until nearly 9. Once she did see him, she gave him a clean bill of health. Much ado about nothing, basically, but better safe than sorry.

In case you are wondering about how he got the EpiPen, it was on top of a table we have just inside the front door. Marilu put it there after his allergist appointment yesterday, and we both forgot to move it. It was a little ways back so he had to reach back and get it, but if there's one thing he's good at, it's climbing and getting a hold of things that he shouldn't. Our bad, but it'll be interesting to see if he learns anything from this. I'm guessing "no" since he is only 3, but you never know.

Anyway, that was our little slice of drama for the day. My first ever call to 911, and Marilu and Lucas's first ride in an ambulance. An adventure I hope we need not repeat anytime soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That's scary! But I am glad he is okay! That is ridiculous that it took them almost 3 hours to get to you guys! What if he had been allergic and had a severe reaction... hhmm. Anyways, your son is a cutie! :) Have a good night!

Tracey said...

Holy crap. Drama indeed. Glad everything worked out OK. My own adrenaline was pumping for a minute there even though I knew everything must have turned out fine. Thank goodness. I have my doubts about the lesson sinking in too, but, you never know. That kind of fear - his own and yours - even if short lived, may have worked some magic!

Mom said...

Good that Marilu called this morning. We were at foxwoods and hadn't seen the Blog. what a terrfying experience. Boy, does that bring back memories of you and your brother...those accidents always seem to happen when you're standing mere feet away too. So happy that Lucas is none the worse for the experience. I wonder if he will remember that needles hurt when he has to get his next shot at the doctor's.