Wednesday, March 27, 2019

March Break in Houston, Part 2

Quick hockey news before I get to the pictures: Lucas's team won their playoff game on Saturday so they are now 1-1 in the round robin with 2 more games this weekend. There are 7 teams in House B so they split the teams into two divisions, one with 4 teams and one with 3. The top 2 from each division after the round robin move on to the semifinals. The Skulltroopers lucked out and got in the 3 team division so if they get one more win, they are definitely moving on. Even a tie will probably be enough. Actually, the team they beat also lost twice to the other team so even if the Skulltroopers lose both games, they could feasibly move on, based on goal differential. Whatever the case, I will let you know what happens this weekend. (Incidentally, the head coach quit the team last week based on the feedback he received from the coaches survey. What a guy.)

Back to Houston!

The next day (Tuesday, I believe), the three of us went to the Houston Zoo. It started out as a bit of a headache since the parking lot was full, but they had overflow parking and shuttles that were surprisingly efficient. We picked a perfect day for the zoo, at least from an animal perspective. It was a bit overcast and although it was warm, it wasn't hot. As a result, just about all the animals were out and active. I don't know how many times I've gone to a zoo and looked at barren cages so this was a nice change of pace. Although there were a lot of people there, the zoo is spread out so crowding wasn't much of an issue.

Below, Marilu poses in front of one of the ape enclosures.


I know you've been waiting to see the world's largest rodent (the capybara) so consider your waiting over. I liked how close we could get to the big guy.


Insert your own "horny" joke here.


What visit to an attraction is complete without posing in wacky settings?



The elephant exhibit was amazing at the Houston Zoo. They had two full enclosure, one for the males and one for the females. I want to say they have about 10 elephants there (maybe more) and most of them were out walking around. I know this was definitely Marilu's highlight.


Don't remember what this is. I just thought it was amusing.


I may be 48, but this name still makes me laugh.


Probably the closest I'll ever get to a bald eagle.


That night we went to a pub/restaurant near the house where we were staying. Just look at the number of beers on tap as well as the amazing number of taps along the bottom of this picture.


The waiter was kind enough to preserve the festivities for us.


In part 3, the Museum of Natural History (and lots of dinosaurs). See you next time!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

That looks like an amazing zoo, and you managed to get some really good photos. My favorite zoo animals are also the elephants. I noticed babies in the picture too. The waiter manged to get a really good picture of you all which is quite unusual. There's always someone who just managed to close their eyes or look like they don't really want their picture taken. I missed Jon and Lara's boys though.