Saturday, August 22, 2015

Flickr

For years, I've been wanting to store all of our photos online, on the off-chance something happens to our computer or the two external hard drives that have backups of most of the photos. I stored quite a few of the pictures on Picasa Web Albums a few years back, but it wasn't a very user friendly experience, and I decided to move on from it.

Tonight, I started the very long process of putting the photos on Flickr. It may not be the best option, but it's definitely one of the most popular. I've decided to work my way from the oldest to the newest so right now, all that's on there are some photos from 2001 and 2002, but I will be adding more periodically until (hopefully) I am all caught up.

Anyway, if you're interested in seeing what's up so far, click here. I've made all the photos public so you shouldn't need to have a Flickr/Yahoo account to view them. Also, it's not immediately obvious since it shows up as a photo album, but I've been adding captions to the photos so if you click on an individual one, most of them will have more details about the photo. I may stop doing this in the future if no one cares about captions.

One last thing, I do plan on keeping the blog going. Flickr is primarily a backup for me with the added benefit of giving you access to the 1000s of photos that didn't make the cut for the blog. Think of it as "deleted scenes."

3 comments:

Mom/Grammy said...

Kind of fun looking back at the old pictures. You and Marilu looked so young! wow! Just remember to keep up the blog.

Tracey said...

About time! ;) I don't know if you are going to curate what you put on flickr or if you just want to put everything there, but if it's the latter it'll upload new photos for you automatically now. You can separate what you show publicly from what you just want to store later if you don't want it all public. I don't use this feature because I don't want every photo I take uploaded, but if I was less fussy about how my photos are organized on there I probably would.

I enjoyed what is there so far - didn't even know you guys then!

JD said...

Tracey, I'll be putting stuff up manually since I am using this opportunity to go through all the old photos and clean up the folders. I don't know how many times I have 5-6 photos of basically the same pose while trying to get the right shot so I'll probably delete a lot of those "extras." Also, I'm going to edit a lot of the older stuff, such as cropping and centering since I never paid much attention to that in the early days of the blog.