Monday, September 22, 2014

The Continuing Saga of Sort Outs (plus Marathon Photos)

With any luck, this will be the last post concerning hockey sort outs. For this year, anyway. Week 3 finished last night, and it looks like Lucas did end up back in the middle division, B. I guess his play last weekend helped offset his lackadaisical effort in Week 1.

Here's the kicker though. After running around and jumping through hoops these past 3 weeks, we got an email last night that the B division is short a coach, and they won't officially assign kids to teams until they get that last coach. It blows my mind that they can throw together this overly complex sort out system but they don't think of something as simple as thinking, "Hey, maybe we should make sure we have coaches before we start." Marilu had a good point when she said that they should figure out how many coaches they have first and then allow a set number of kids to sign up.

I'm sure someone will volunteer for that last position, but I'm guessing it's not going to be the most organized team, considering they are coming in at the last minute and probably took the job out of guilt. (Before anyone asks why I didn't volunteer, I can barely even stand on ice skates so I'm probably not the best candidate).

In other sporting news, Marilu ran her first 1/2 marathon yesterday morning. She's been training for it for months now, and it was great to see her achieve her goal.

Here's Marilu on our front lawn prior to the race.


The race was associated with the Army, and they had a bunch of military vehicles and weapons on display. Lucas was a little shy of getting in the vehicles at first, but then he saw this thing.


Oh, and did I mention the weapons?


To kill time after that, I took Lucas to Elgin Street Diner, a downtown restaurant known for its poutine. I told Lucas he could order whatever he wanted. So, he went with the four cheese poutine with extra cheese curds. I think it might have weighed more than him.


I helped him with it a little, but this is what he looked like when he was finished.


Afterwards, Lucas and I stood in a downpour under a tree near the finish line to cheer Marilu on. After 45 minutes of waiting, I turned to Lucas to ask him if he was dry. While I was talking to him, Marilu ran by and didn't see either of us. Lucas yelled, "There's mommy!" and by the time I turned around, she was already well past us. Not one of my happier moments.

For the record, she finished the race in 2 hours and 21 minutes. She was hoping to get in under 2 1/2 hours so goal achieved!

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Yay Marilu!!!

Mom/Grammy said...

First. Hooray Marilu!
Second. Hockey doesn't sound like the best organized group. Good luck!
Third. The interest in weapons comes as no surprise.
Fourth. There is obviously some American in Lucas. All that gravy and cheese and he still loaded the plate with ketchup.
Fifth. Bummer that you stood in the rain to watch Marilu and ended up missing her. Ah well, at least you went to support her.