Monday, September 24, 2012

Rory Update

We received some odd news last week. Marilu had gone in for a followup appointment with her OB/GYN. I believe it was the first time she's seen him since everything happened back in May. According to the pathology report, it turns out Rory was, in fact, a girl. Because of everything that happened, we never got confirmation of the sex when we were at the ultrasound, and I guess they never thought to bring it up when Marilu gave birth.

When Marilu told me, I'll admit I was stunned. I wasn't sure how to take this news, and to be honest, I'm still not sure how I feel. To a much lesser extent, this must be what it's like when someone finds out they were adopted. In the sense that something you took for granted is proven otherwise.

I suppose it's good that Rory is a name that can be used for both boys and girls, although the middle name Gerard doesn't really work.

We haven't told Lucas yet, and we're probably not going to for at least a few years. He still mentions his little brother from time to time, and I'm not sure what he would think about this. That said, I don't want to wait too long since I don't want it to be a major shock when he is a teenager or something.

Anyway, that's the news for the week. I thought writing about it might help me make a little more sense of it, but it's still weird. Guess it will be for a while.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Wow. That is a shocker. You wouldn't think boy vs. girl would be that big a deal but when you've always conceived of Rory as a boy it hits you to learn that she was a girl. Doesn't exactly change anything, but even I had a visceral reaction to that news. I can only imagine how it made you guys feel. Sending more hugs...