Tuesday, August 21, 2012

In Memoriam

Before I get back to the business of posting photos, I want to take a moment to summarize what happened back in May that led to the hiatus. I think most of the people who read this blog know the whole story, but in case there are a couple of people still in the dark, I'm going to give you the Cliffs Notes version.

Basically, we found out from early tests that there was something wrong with our baby. When we came in for a follow-up ultrasound, the doctor confirmed that things were bad, and it was very unlikely our baby would survive until the pregnancy, let alone afterwards. As such, we made the choice--not that there was much of one, given that news--to terminate the pregnancy.

Unfortunately, because of how far along Marilu was, we had to go through what was essentially a full birth. I'm not going to go into it, but suffice to say, May 28 was the worst day and night of my life. I think Marilu would agree.

For what it's worth, we had a boy. Although there is no official documentation, we named him Rory Gerard Deal. Gerard was a nod to Marilu's dad, and we came up with Rory in much the same we settled on Lucas. It was a boy's name that neither of us hated!

So that's the story in a nutshell. It's a lot easier to talk about it now, almost 3 months later, but there will always be a special place in my heart for our little boy who was taken from us far too soon.

Rest in Peace, Rory. Your daddy, mommy, and big brother Lucas will never forget you.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Crying at my desk over here. Big hugs to all of you.

Mom said...

Still crying for all of us on the loss of your son and my grandson baby Rory. I believe someday I'll see him and hold him in heaven (if I make it there). A little levity! Love you all.
Mom or Grammy, take your pick.